Bio

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thursdays Thesaurus: Gobo!



Thursdays Thesaurus is a new feature that will highlight a theatrical term once a week. Better than a word of a day calendar (cause it’s only once a week) it features theatrical terms so that you have a better vocabulary of theatre terms.

Where to start is the question though, right? Out of all the words in the world, how do we pick the first? Easy, with my favorite word ….Gobo

Gobo: A metal cutout used in ellipsoidal reflector spotlights that projects an image on stage. Also called template.
So basically it produces an image that the audience can see.

The stars that hover at the top of the stage? Gobo

Silhouettes of trees projected in a funky colored light? Gobo



I mean, I guess you could call it a template….but where would the fun be in that?

I love it. It’s my favorite word ( and not just theatrically speaking) and has been for a long time. It’s almost like “smurf” just add it into a sentence in any context and people still know what you are talking about.

For example: How the gobo did you manage to set fire to the kitchen making pudding? (actual question asked to my husband)

So go out into the world and use your new word (correctly as defined or more general as I have come to use it) and have fun!

Special thanks to Bibliophile Girl for her help with the logo (extra special since it ties in my love of dinosaurs) thank you!

1 comment: