Bio

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Tell Me on a Sunday- Memories

If I learned anything from Cats, its that memories are "the time I knew what happiness was"  so "let the memories live again".

Why am I quoting Cats?  That was a terrible musical...or maybe it was because I'm not on whatever drugs made that musical about singing and dancing cats seem like a good idea.

Let's try it again....

Memories....."like the corners of my mind.  Misty, water-colored memories"

 I mean, do you have any habits or rituals that you do when attending or having attended a theatrical performance.  With the express purpose of helping note that you attended the show.  In order for them to avoid becoming "misty, water-colored memories"?

I am a terrible diarist or journal-er (possibly, blogger as well?) as I have a hard time tuning in to write on a regular basis.  Plus, years of getting my diary "given to me" for my birthday by my brother, had trained me not to write in them.  I am not someone who makes scrap books or is organized enough to find things after I have put them in that "I- will -never- forget- where- I- have- placed- this- it -is -so- obvious" spot.  So to make sure that I don't forget  where I have put something and to make sure I don't forget what I saw, where and with whom, I have a book where I keep the covers of the playbills and tickets of shows I have seen.

At every show I make sure to grab two programs.  One immediately gets read and folded as I try to get all the information out of it on the performers before the lights go down.  The other program goes in my purse, carefully saved in my calendar so it doesn't get bent or crushed.  My ticket also gets slipped in next to this program.

Once I get home I immediately pull out my book and open it up to the next open page.  On this page goes the program cover (cast list as well,  if I want that for some reason) and the ticket.  Then in the margins I write down who came to the show with me.  This way I never forget who I saw this show with and what date and time I  saw it.

This habit came about because I love seeing shows and I would get frustrated if I couldn't remember exactly when I saw a show.  This subject comes up a lot for me and not remembering this was unacceptable.  As well, I usually see very interesting shows with very interesting people and I would like to remember what I saw and with whom.

I am now at the end of the book I am currently using and I am excited to start a new one.  These books track not just theater, but my theater preferences, shows when I was going through an "adventurous" theater period in my life, notes what shows my friends like to attend and how far I have traveled to see something.  Currently, Las Vegas or San Francisco are as exotic as I have gotten...I swear, New York and London will one day grace the pages of my theater book. 

Do you have an theater habits to remember shows you have attended?  Do you note it in your day planner?  Buy the swag at the shows and wear them proudly?  Tell me!



No comments:

Post a Comment